Send your questions right to us on this page. We generally respond within the day or the next morning. If you'd like to ask us a question with a real conversation, send us your phone number and we'll call you, or you can call/text us at (612) 567-2397. We're a small shop, generally working 9-5ish hours in the studio, so often text is the most efficient way to communicate directly with us.
Often many people have the same questions, so we put together a couple of FAQs. Maybe it will help answer your question, too?
What's the process for ordering a locket?
- Choose a locket style that you love
- Upload the photo you'd like added to your locket
- Go through the ordering process
- Yep! It's actually that easy.
Still need more details on that ordering process?
- Select the locket you love most.
- Upload your favorite photo. Any photo. Choose one that means the most to you, even if it's understated to someone else. It can be a photo from your cell phone, a photo of an old photo, a highly produced image - anything. We just need it digitally so we can work our magic behind the scenes to make it beautiful, crisp and small for your locket.
- Order it, and we'll make your new locket. We resize, sharpen and print the image, then cut it, set it, and hand-pour a resin we mix ourselves. We keep a close eye on your locket for the next two days while it cures into a piece of jewelry that will last forever as the hardened resin protects your photograph.
- When it's complete and ready, we'll ship it to the address you provided us when ordering and provide tracking.
How do I get my photo to The Locket Sisters?
- When you're on the product page for the locket you want you'll see some fill-able questions and "UPLOAD PHOTO" is one of them. This is the spot that you give us your picture to go inside your locket. The image can be bmp, gif, jpg, jpeg, jpg, jif, jfif, jfi, png, wbmp, xbm, tiff, psd, or pdf and can be really, really big too.
I can't get my photo to upload and an error message keeps popping up. Any ideas?
- First, sorry! Glitches are the worst, aren't they?
- To remedy, try taking a screenshot of the image you want to load and load that instead. 9 times out of 10 this solves the problem.
- If that doesn't work, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the photo you want, and the locket you want, and we'll draft your order internally and send it back to you to complete. That always solves the problem ;)
What does it mean that you put resin on the photo in my locket?
- Resin is a mixture of organic compounds that creates a clear hard surface, almost like glass but not breakable, that protects your photograph from wear and tear. We mix the resin in small batches and by hand, and then slowly pour it over your photo to make sure the right amount sits inside your locket. It's pretty cool, really! It takes a day or two to dry and then keeps your locket extra safe for long-term use and enjoyment.
How long does it take to get a locket?
- You will have your locket in your hands in no later than 10-14 days.
- The average time is about a week until it's in your hands.
- Double photo lockets take longer because we have to pour the resin on each side on separate days.
Do you gift wrap the lockets?
- Everything comes in what we would consider gift wrap meaning you could hand someone the locket in the way that we send it to you and it looks like a gift, even if you're ordering it for yourself.
- Right now, for the months of April and May 2021, we're doing something really special called The Giving Bags for gift wrapping, which are colorful and bright and velvety and unmarked so you can re-purpose them however you like. The color you receive for your bag will be at random.
Can you rush my order?
- Usually. If you send us a message or make a note in your order we will work really hard to accommodate your timeline.
Do you offer engraving?
- Not yet, but we're working on it. This is probably the most commonly asked question, so we hear you. It's important, and we hope to add this feature in 2021. We have been testing this process and working on the exact type of engraver we need with a manufacturing company based in Californa. Feels like we're getting close to offering it! We do not have a set date.
Can I switch out the photo in my locket?
- Nope. We secure the images in a resin, which protects it. Our lockets are meant to be a lifetime piece. If you're craving a different picture close to your heart, you can always buy another one! We have a few clients who have more than five :)
Will my locket be waterproof?
- We wouldn't call this waterproof, but we're comfortable with water resistant. Water will increase the wear of your locket, but it won't ruin it per se. The best thing for your locket is to wear it when you're dry, as your body's natural oils keep it from tarnishing, and to take it off before showering and swimming.
- Once as an experiment we placed finished lockets in a glass of water for four days to see what would happen. The photos were fine because they're protected under a resin, and the locket itself needed just a bit of polishing. So, technically your locket can get wet, but we still recommend keeping it dry :)
What are your lockets made of?
- Each piece has different materials, so see the individual lockets for descriptions of the materials used. Generally though, they range from .925 sterling silver, 14k gold, 24k gold, brass, copper, and all lockets are nickel-free.
- Allyssa, the owner, has sensitive skin (hey hey redhead life!) and tests all materials on herself before committing to them as a company.
How long does the gold plating last for the gold lockets? What does 3 microns mean?
- The length of time that the heavy 14k gold plating will stay on your locket depends on how you wear it. I wrote an article about this to give you more info, which you can find here.
- 3 microns is a very thick plating of gold (generally regarded as the heaviest plating available).
- Most gold plating is 0.5-1.0 plating, and ours is 3-6x heavier than that, which means it will last much, much longer.
Can you photoshop the image?
- Yes, we bring every image into Photoshop to shrink down the size to fit into your locket. We make only contrast and brightness edits unless you have a specific request for us. We began our photo careers with a boutique studio in Minneapolis, so we're pretty good at this stuff.
Do you have men's keychains or pendants?
- We do! Check out The Henry, everyone is loving it! Men also love The Lapel Pin, and The Ozzie Clip, or the new Walter Locket. Also, we've made many lockets for men that are necklaces.
Do you ship outside of the US?
- Yes. If your country is not showing up as an option, just tell us and we'll add it. International shipping is all real-time priced so you pay the real price, we don't mark it up at all.
- Our lockets are made just for you, with just the image you chose inside. The custom nature of our lockets means we're not able to accept returns. If you have a request or concern about your locket after receiving it, please contact us so we may remedy it and make the issue magically go away.
- Free shipping with in the Continental United States. $10 flat rate to Canada. $15 flat rate to all other countries.
- Wondering if we will ship to you and your country isn't listed? Let us know
Have a question you we haven't answered? Fill out the form below and we promise to reply back within 24 hours. (Really, we're quick!)